Blu-ray is getting more popular comparing to HD DVD for its large storage capacity and HD video effect. Blu-ray also is more difficult to stream than DVD. Thes are frequently asked question when referring to Blu-ray playback on PC and Mac. Therefor, here lists the equipment you need to play Blu-disc on Mac and PC.
Why can’t Blu-ray play on PC and Mac?
1. No Blu-ray drive. Blu-ray is a new format, so the old optical drive cannot read Blu-ray discs.
2. low hardware configuration. Blu-ray requires fairly robust and reliable hardware for the smooth playback of Blu-ray disc.
3. Encoding. Blu-ray discs are encoded with programming beyond that of a normal DVD, such as region code, AACS or BD+ from the latest bluray disc, etc. Learn >> Why Mac Never Get Blu-ray?
Equipment for Blu-ray playback on Mac
1. Mac hardware
To play Blu-ray disc on a Mac, Mac components must be Blu-ray compatible. Blu-ray requires fairly robust and reliable hardware for the smooth playback of Blu-ray disc. Check what we need:
* Operating System: Mac OS 10.6 or Higher, including Mac OS X 10.6/ 10.7/ 10.8/ 10.9;
* Devices: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro
* Processor (CPU): Intel Core2 Duo 2.4GHz processor or higher recommended
* Memory: 512 MB RAM or higher recommended; * Hard Disk Space: 250 MB of free disk space;
* Disc Drive: A internal or external Blu-ray drive. Make sure the USB ≥ 2.0 or FireWire ≥ 400.
2. Internet connection
Internet connection is need for downloading decrypting files for latest Blu-ray movies.
3. Mac Blu-ray Player software
Blu-ray is a patented technology, so operating systems or players need essential licensing to use this patent. Unfortunately, Mac OS haven’t got the licensing yet, neither have most popular media players, such as VLC and Quick Time. So if you want to play Blu-ray on Mac, you have to use Mac Blu-ray player software, which is the key for Blu-ray playback on Mac.
Equipment for Blu-ray playback on PC
If you want to play a Blu-ray disc on your PC, your components must be Blu-ray compatible. Blu-ray requires fairly robust and reliable hardware for the smooth playback of Blu-ray disc. Most new operating systems offer compatibility and are equipped with the Blu-ray drive, while some older ones do not, so we suggest you upgrade your components on your computer to get smooth Blu-ray playback. Check what you need:
1. PC hardware
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Vista, Windows 7;
Processor (CPU): Intel Core2 Duo 2.4GHz processor or equivalent AMD Athlon™ processor or higher recommended;
Memory: 512 MB RAM or higher recommended;
Hard Disk Space:250 MB of free disk space;
Disc Player: A internal or external Blu-ray drive. Since Blu-ray discs utilize a technology different from DVDs’, a Blu-ray supported disc drive is necessary to play BDs on a notebook. Make sure the USB of the Blu-ray drive is 2.0 or above. If you have purchased a new computer within the past year, chances are good that it may include a Blu-ray disc drive.
2. Internet connection
You will need to download Blu-ray player software on the Internet and decrypt Blu-ray discs.
3. Blu-ray Player software
There is no Blu-ray Player software on Windows, especially after Windows 10 released. So, if you want to play Blu-ray on Windows PC, you need a Blu-ray Player software on Windows, which can remove the restrictions of protected Bluray Discs and ensure high-quality Blu-ray playback without the confines of an electronic player. iDeer Blu-ray Player is an excellent Blu-ray player software product, which can be used both on Mac and Windows.
It is the Time to Abandon Physical Media
If you have a Blu-ray Ripper, you don’t need to worry that your PC and Mac can’t play Blu-rays. You can rip and convert Blu-ray to WMP and QuickTime supported format. Then you can play Blu-ray on PC and Mac without needing Blu-ray Drive. Below is the best 2 Blu-ray Ripper for Windows and Blu-ray Ripper for Mac that can help you rip Blu-ray on PC and Mac easily.
|Pavtube ByteCopy||Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac|
|Key Features:||Key Features:|
|- Full copy Blu-ray and main title copy Blu-ray on Windows
- Lossless rip Blu-ray to MKV with all chapter markers on Windows.
- Rip Blu-ray with multiple subtitle and audio tracks in MP4/MOV/AVI.
- Fully compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/6/XP.
|- 1:1 backup Blu-ray disc and copy Blu-ray to M2TS files on Mac.
- Rip Blu-ray to MKV in lossless video and audio quality.
- Rip Blu-ray to mp4/mov/avi with multi-language audio/subtitle support
- Supported OS: Mac OS X macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.
|System Requirement:||System Requirements:|
|Other Info:||Other Info:|
|Review | User Guide | How-to||Review | User Guide | How-to|