If you borrowed some Blu-ray discs from your friends and have no enough time to watch them all, backing up them to your WD External Hard Disc Drive will be a not bad idea. Keeping Blu-ray in WD External HDD is convenient for you to erase these movies once you are familiar with the contents. No circulation in case of copyrights violations.
You can search for a Blu-ray Backup tool from Google to help you backup Blu-ray to WD External HDD. From my Blu-ray ripping experience, I like using Pavtube ByteCopy to rip and copy Blu-ray. It has rich features to fulfill all my requirements:
- It can copy Blu-ray to WD External HDD with two methods: Full Disc Copy and Copy Main Title according to your choice.
- It enables you to rip and backup Blu-ray to any other format like H.265, M3U8, MP4, AVI, MOV, M4V, FLV, FLAC, OGG, etc to adapt to various media streamers like iPad, iPhone 7, PS4 Pro.
- It can rip Blu-ray to WD External HDD in lossless MKV with multiple audio tracks, subtitle streams and chapter markers.
- User-friendly way it works for non-IT savvy people like me is easy to operate.
- Its reasonably price makes me would like to invest.
You can learn more features of ByteCopy in ByteCopy review.
– Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/bytecopy/
– Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-ByteCopy/3000-7970_4-76158512.html
How to Backup Blu-ray to WD External HDD for viewing?
Step 1: Load Blu-ray movies
Insert the disc into the drive and run the program. Click disc button to add the Blu-ray movie to the app. You can preview the movie in the main interface.
Note: You can choose desired subtitle and audio tracks to rip Blu-ray with preferred subtitles.
Step 2: Copy Blu-ray movie
– Option A: “Full Disc Copy” without anything loss
Click quick button “Copy the entire disc” to starts copying the Blu-ray disc to WD External HDD maintaining the original structure.
When the copying task finished, you can click “Open” button to get the output videos. The backed up Blu-ray/DVD movie is usually saved as a directory file structure in VIDEO_TS or BDMV folder.
– Option B: Copy Blu-ray main movie
Click “Format” bar, choose “Copy” > “Directly Copy” from the Format menu to copy the M2TS files only which contains the main movie of Blu-ray disc. When the copying work is done, you can locate the generated Blu-ray M2TS file on output folder without any other extra contents.
– Option C: Rip Blu-ray to MP4, MKV, AVI, etc
Besides backing up Blu-ray without quality lossless, you also can rip Blu-ray to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, M4V, MPEG and more. (For mac users, refer to the mac workflow) Here, you can set the output format as MP4. Click the format bar to follow “HD Video” > “H.264 HD Video (*.mp4).”
Lossless MKV and multi-track MP4/MOV/AVI is the special features of Pavtube ByteCopy. So you can choose to rip Blu-ray with lossless quality or multi-track video. You can refer to the guides below:
- Rip Blu-ray to multi-track AVI on Windows 10
- Rip Blu-ray to MP4/MKV/MOV with multi-track Audio/Subtitle
- Rip Blu-ray to Lossless MKV video
Tip: If want to customize the output video quality, pls hit “Settings” icon to open profile settings window. Frame rate is always suggested to set as “original” unless you want to do some special editing; Size(pix) can be set to 1080p or 720p; also the bitrate parameters will affect output quality vertically. You will be able to check the estimated file size in the same window.
Step 3: Start backing up Blu-ray to WD External HDD
Click right-bottom “Convert” button on the main interface to start the conversion process. When it finishes, open the output folder to find the generated file.
After you backing up Blu-ray to WD External HDD, you can enjoy them in your free time. And you needn’t worry that you can’t give back the Blu-ray disc to your friends on time.