We may feel great satisfied if we have a Roku 3 box. Use Roku 3 to stream Netflix, Hulu, and video content from dozens of other providers to television. From kids shows that my daughter loves to watch online video with me via Roku 3, which impresses with its video quality. Then is it possible to play Blu-ray on Roku 3? If yes, how? If you have the similar problems like above, you are now in the right place. To make things clear, Let’s answer the question first. (Also learn how to get High-quality Sound Blu-ray Experience)
At first, digging deeper into technical specs of the Roku 3, I found different conflicting answers. Roku 3 Video Support: MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264), MKV (H.264), ASF/WMV (WMV9/VC1) and Audio Support: MP3, AAC, Dolby Digital (MP4, MOV, and MKV pass through only), DTS (MKV pass through only). File formats supported by Roku USB channel, the feature that enables you to play movies locally through a USB drive or the micro SD card, are restricted to h.264.
Naturally, Blu-ray movie can’t be directly played on Roku 3 until you have a Blu-ray to Roku 3 Converter to help you convert blu-ray collections to Roku 3 for playing, the best recommend is Pavtube BDMagic.
With this app, you can help you remove the Blu-ray/DVD disc protection. With its clean interface, fast converting speed and good video quality, converting Blu-rays to Roku 3 best supported MKV format will be simply finished within a few clicks. The app is also available for Mac OS – Get Pavtube BDMagic for Mac if you work with OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9.
FYI: If you want to keep all the audio tracks (language) and soft subtitles, here’s another choice for you: Blu-ray/DVD Converter Pro.
How to stream purchased or rented Blu-ray disc onto Roku 3 USB Channel
1. Launch the highly recommended Blu-ray to Roku 3 Ripper. Insert your Blu-ray movie to disc drive, and click “Load Disc” button on Pavtube BDMagic interface to load Blu-ray from BD drive; it also support importing Blu-ray ISO and Blu-ray folder.
2. Select the main title and set subtitles/audio language you’d like to preserve.
3. Select a format for conversion. To convert Blu-ray to MKV video, press on “Format” and choose “Common Video>> MKV(Matroska) Video (*.mkv)” format.
4. Start ripping Blu-ray movie to MKV for Roku 3 playback.
5. After conversion completes, press “Open” to locate resulted MKV files, copy and transfer the converted video to a USB file or SD card and attach it to Roku 3 box. Now the Roku 3 set-top box will have no trouble to play Blu-ray movie files.
Frequently asked questions
1. Is there any limitations as to the format of the USB drive?
The following USB drive format are supported by Roku, Roku 2 and Roku 3 streaming player: FAT16, FAT32, NTFS and HFS+. So, chances are actually small that Roku can’t handle your USB drive.
2. Besides mp4, is there any other file format I can convert to? In order to play videos in Roku’s USB channel.
Yes, MKV and MKV only, Roku’s USB channel support only MP4 and MKV video playback.
The Roku players are tiny devices without any hard drives, designed specifically to play back video over the network on your TV set. It’s one of Apple TV’s direct competitors, but with an entry-level model starting at $49.99. All models support playback of a growing collection of multimedia “channels,” including Amazon Video on Demand, Netflix streaming, MLB.tv, Pandora, Hulu Plus (in a forthcoming release) and more.