TiVo provides a range of features while connecting to a home network, such as movie and TV show downloads, advanced search, music offerings, and online scheduling. With the wide usage of TiVo, some people consider to rip their Blu-ray collection to TiVo compatible format like H.264 MP4. I thought it was an interesting idea and I tested some top-ranked Blu-ray Rippers on Google search. Finally, I find the easiest way to convert Blu-ray to TiVo suitable H.264 with AC3 audio.
The Blu-ray ripper I chose finally is Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate. On the one hand, it performs well in Blu-ray to TiVo playable format and on the other hand, when it converts Blu-ray to H.264 MP4 on Windows, it can offer 6X times speed with GPU acceleration. This save lots of time for me.
What’s more, this app allows me to adjust video frame rate, bitrate and audio codec, channel so that I can easily get H.264 MP4 with AC3 audio from original Blu-ray movies. This is an important feature because when I was using another Blu-ray ripper, the videos get re-encoded into ~19 FPS instead of leaving them as 23.976. I have no idea why, I am not performing any deinterlacing so I do not know why it would touch the FPS. With Pavtube product, I have no this sort of trouble. If you can want to know more about this app, you can read its review and you can get it below:
Free download and install
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-video-converter-ultimate/
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-75938564.html
How to Convert Blu-ray to TiVo Compatible H.264 MP4 with AC3 Audio?
Step 1. Load Blu-ray movie
Run the versatile Blu-ray Converter on PC, click “File” ＞ “Load from disc” to load Blu-ray discs. Preserving Blu-ray chapter markers when ripping is possible.
Tip 1: You need an external Blu-ray drive for Blu-rays firstly;
Tip 2: If you want a preferred subtitle and audio displayed on the output Blu-ray and DVD movie, just choose from “Subtitle” and “Audio” dropdown menu;
Step 2. Choose HD MP4 for Tivo device
According to the above mentioned, you can set the output format as MP4. Click the format bar to follow “HD Video” > “H.264 HD Video (*.mp4).
Tip 3： If you want to customize the video parameters, hit “Settings” icon to open profile settings window. Frame rate is suggested to set as “original” unless you want to do some special editing; Size(pix) can be set to 1080p or 720p; also the bitrate parameters will affect output quality vertically. You will be able to check the estimated file size in the same window.
Step 3. Start converting Blu-ray to Tivo
Hit the “Convert” button to start Blu-ray to Tivo MP4 conversion. After conversion, hit “Open” or “Open output folder” to quick find ripped videos. After that you can transfer converted MP4 videos from computer to Tivo or other storage devices like WD MyCloud, Seagate Wireless Plus, for viewing on TV.
How to transfer videos from computer to Tivo?
1. Locate the computer video files that you would like to play on the TiVo. Select the files on the computer, click “Edit” and select “Copy.”
2. Open the “My Documents” folder. Open the “My TiVo Recordings” folder. Click “Edit” and “Paste.”
3. Launch the TiVo Desktop software. View the “Now Playing” list and confirm that the copied video files appear in this section.
4. Activate the TiVo box attached to the TV. Select “Now Playing” from the “TiVo Central” screen.
5. Choose the computer, which is labeled with a monitor icon. Select the specific video you would like to play.
6. Select “Transfer This Recording” from the TiVo menu. Wait for the video to transfer and then click “Play” on the TiVo remote. Return to the “Now Playing” list to play other video files.
Having said all this, I think the tutorial is detailed enough. In addition, this app is just for Windows users. If you want Mac version, please use the equivalent iMedia Converter for Mac (El Capitan Supported). And I saw its Cyber Monday Coupon on Facebook, you can get it only for $45.5 during the campaign.
- Copy Thanksgiving Blu-ray to External Drive for Viewing on HD TV via WD TV
- 3 Apps from Pavtube to Help You Backup X-Men Collection Blu-ray Discs
- Make an Australia Blu-ray Region-free for PS4 in India
- Copy Blu-ray movie to DLNA certified NAS devices
- Watch 20 Best Blu-ray/DVD/Online Vampire Movies on Windows and Mac